Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Book Review: CTHULHU ARMAGEDDON, by C.T. Phipps




C.T. Phipps
CTHULHU ARMAGEDDON
Crossroad Press / Macabre Ink
Horror / Post-Apocalypse

CTHULHU ARMAGEDDON is the first book I have read by C.T. Phipps. I wasn't sure what to expect. For starters, the cover is amazing. I've said it many times before, but will gladly repeat myself, I oftentimes judge a book by the cover. It may be shallow. It's, however, what makes me pick up a book in the first place for closer inspection.

There is a lot going on in this tale. Information comes at the reader from all directions. Phipps is world building, and does a fantastic job at it. At first I was compelled to take notes while I read. When I set my pen down and just let the storyteller tell the story, I settled in and enjoyed the ride.

The earth is little more than a giant wasteland, with groups of survivors banded here and there. John Henry Booth is a ranger. When his team is wiped out during an ambush, and only Booth survives, he is blamed for the deaths despite his protests that former Dr. Alan Ward is behind the attack, and responsible for the murders of his soldiers.

When torturer, Mercury Takahashi, is wanted for the untimely death of her husband, a plan is hatched. Luring Booth in as a guide, she convinces the former ranger to help her traverse the wastelands to where she hopes to find solace in Kingsport. Since her trek, and his plan to hunt down Ward --founder of the Black Cathedral in the Great Barrier Desert-- coincide, he agrees.

Crossing the wasteland would be dangerous enough. The slavers, and ghouls, the monsters, and everything-that-goes-bump-in-the-night only make the journey that much more treacherous. Banding together with others along the way, one dangerous situation after another, Booth is certain they will find Ward. The problem? Will he be able to get revenge for his soldiers, and defeat Alan Ward when he gets to the Black Cathedral?

The action is constant. Intense. I loved the characters. Booth is tough, a wiseass, but also genuine and caring. There is a clear sense of purpose, and drive behind the story. And Phipps moves it forward with practiced pacing, and skill. C.T. Phipps spits out enough hints and allegations throughout the book to craft an entire universe of books in the series, and who has two thumbs and would be happy about that? This guy right here.

Be sure to check out my interview with C.T. Phipps for a more personal look at the man, the author!

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the Severed Empire Series, and
The Vaccination Trilogy

1 comment: