Friday, January 20, 2017

Book Review: WORLD GONE BY, by Dennis Lehane

https://www.amazon.com/World-Gone-Novel-Dennis-Lehane/dp/0062351818/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484913457&sr=8-1&keywords=dennis+lehane+world+gone+by

Dennis Lehane
WORLD GONE BY
William Morrow, 2016
320 pages
Crime

I am reading this series, the Coughlin Series, so out of order. I started with LIVE BY NIGHT (Book 2) because I wanted to read it before seeing the movie (starring Ben Affleck, which, by the way, I enjoyed both). And rather than go back and read Book 1, THE GIVEN DAY, I decided I'd read Book 3, WORLD GONE BY. My reason being, THE GIVEN DAY deals with Joe Coughlin's father, and Books 2 and 3 deal with Joe. Anywho . . .

WORLD GONE BY takes place roughly ten years after LIVE BY NIGHT (Click HERE to see my review of LIVE BY NIGHT). Joe Coughlin has his hands full. He is still down south, in Tampa, doing his best to run an honest business, but out there is a bullet with his name on it, there is a rat in the organization, and Joe--he's seeing ghosts!

In WORLD GONE BY it all comes down to someone owing you a favor. Joe never goes soft. He has just never been about the killing. He never considered himself a gangster, just an outlaw. But along the way, did all of that change?

Not nearly as complex as LIVE BY NIGHT, but still an amazing crime novel, WORLD GONE BY seems like the perfect end to an amazing trilogy.

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the Severed Empire Series
and The Vaccination Trilogy






No comments:

Post a Comment