Monday, April 10, 2017

Book Review: THE BLACK BOOK, by Ian Rankin


Ian Rankin
THE BLACK BOOK (Inspector Rebus #5)
Minotaur Books, 2000
352 Pages
Crime / Thriller

John Rebus finds himself working a five year old cold case. After his friend, and fellow officer is jumped, and left for dead, the Inspector realizes it may have been more than a simple, violent, back alley robbery.

Brian Holmes had a black book. It was filled with things he was working on during his own time. Rebus sees a possible connection between the vicious attack and a fire. When the Central Hotel burned, at first it seemed like maybe arson. That is until a body was discovered inside. Ashes. Unidentifiable. This was what Holmes was working on when he was beaten, when he was nearly killed.

Determined to get to the bottom of the case, Rebus begins re-knocking on doors --doors that until Holmes started sticking his nose into other people's business, had been left alone over the last five years. Those involved with Holmes' attack now will stop at nothing to get Rebus out of the way!

What I enjoy most about Ian Rankin, and his Rebus books, is that the characters seem . . . real. Authentic. They are as close to people as fictional characters can get. We, the reader, get to see into the lives, and jobs, and feelings of those Rankin created. If that isn't talent, proof of a talented writer, then I don't know what is.

I am thankful I was introduced to Ian Rankin, and the Rebus series. I do not want to read them all too quickly. I want to savor each one, because sooner (rather than later), I will get to a point where I've no more titles to read, and will be stuck waiting for the next release. I suppose it's a good thing. Unless you are like me and hate waiting.

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the Severed Empire Series,
and The Vaccination Trilogy

No comments:

Post a Comment