Friday, January 1, 2021

Book Review: Every Breath, by Nicholas Sparks

 



EVERY BREATH
Nicholas Sparks
Grand Central Publishing 
306 pages / June 2018
Drama / Romance 

I have always loved Nicholas Sparks movies, with the exception of  The Notebook. (Don't shoot me, just being honest). That was my least favorite film of his. In all these years, I have never read a Sparks novel. My good friend lent me a copy of Every Breath. Said it is a fast read. I would enjoy it.

And I did read it fast, and I did enjoy it. At 300 pages, the first 2/3s are fantastic, and fast. The last third is a bit dry, but necessary. 

Truitt "Tru" Wells is a safari guide in Africa. Born and raised. He has a son, and an ex-wife. He receives a mysterious letter from a father he never met. The man wanted to meet his son and provided a plane ticket to the states. Always searching for more information about his mother, who died when Tru was very young, Tru flies to North Carolina and stays at his father's beach house not sure what to expect from the upcoming meeting.

Hope is staying at the family beach house for two reasons. Her friend from college is getting married, and she is a bride's maid, and because her father has been diagnosed with ALS, sometimes known as Lou Gherig's Disease. The family needs money, and selling the beach house might put them in a more stable financial situation.

Hope is not thrilled about the wedding. Seems like all of her friends are getting married, or married already, and her six-year relationship is moving backwards instead of forward. In walks Tru.

There are immediate sparks when the two meet. The love is almost instantaneous. The problem they face is simple. He is from Africa. She is from the US. She has a boyfriend, and he has a son back home. Add to the drama of the obvious, some wine, romantic dinners, and a whole lotta opening up . . .

But see, it all started with a mail box. the Kindred Spirit. This is where the last third of the book comes into play. that is all I will say.

My summation? Love waits for no one, unless it does.

A great novel. Glad I read it. I will be reading more!

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the romance novel BEFORE THE SUN SETS 

No comments:

Post a Comment