Thursday, November 17, 2016

Book Review: STRANDED - Bracken MacLeod




Bracken MacLeod
Tor / A Tom Doherty Associates Book
Horror

Bracken MacLeod’s STRANDED is a Twilight Zone novel. Rod Serling would be proud.

The Artic Promise is on a routine trip. The ship is stocked with food and supplies for an oil rig, Niflheim, in the Chukchi Sea. A brutal storm pounds the vessel, leaving the ship without communications, and once the storm passes, they find they are beset with ice.

Noah Cabot signed on with the crew. Working the sea was the way his family made a living for generations. The problem with this particular trip is that is father-in-law is in charge. William Brewster would like nothing better than to see his son-in-law dead.

Things only get worse when one-by-one the members of the crew come down with a debilitating illness. With limited supplies, and no way to signal for help, if they don’t come up with a plan quick, they could die. If they didn’t starve to death the below zero temperatures would kill them for sure.

In the near distance is an object. It could be the Niflheim. There’s only one way to find out. Volunteers will need to trek across the ice and investigate.

STRANDEDis gripping. The icy Arctic cold made me shiver while reading it. Hot coffee, or hot coco is strongly recommended reading the book. I don’t know how many times I had to cup my hands together and blow into them, just because I thought the frostbite might be getting me.

Noah’s back story is intense. The unexpected twists, and the proposed resolutions kept me flipping pages faster and faster. The climax seemed to last for chapter after chapter. There was no break in the tension. None. I read this fast, and am disappointed I finished. I want more.

Phillip Tomasso
Author of The Severed Empire Series, and 

No comments:

Post a Comment